jaspabanner

Latest news and blogs from Jaspa Cycles

Thursday 25 April 2013

Tweed Run Review

This is a great review of the recent Tweed Run by the Future Jaspa Owners Club President (when we get an owners club!) James Shepherd. Thanks James

So I find myself standing in a corner of the quadrant at University College London looking at 499 people dressed in the most incredible tweed I’ve ever seen, all accompanied by an amazing array of bikes.  This was the Tweed Run 2013, an event I’d been looking forward to for weeks.  The day didn’t start well, my wife couldn’t join me as planned due our youngest daughter being ill, so I’d forced myself to do this alone…  as such I was standing there, on my own in the corner, much like I felt on my first days at school (although this time thinking ‘Christ I wish my wife was here’ instead of ‘I wish my Mummy was here’).

But then I noticed various people looking at me, which was strange given that I was wearing a similarly insane outfit to everyone else and I certainly wasn’t one of the more radical looking ones.  Then I realised I wasn’t on my own, I had my Jaspa with me and it was the bike that people were looking at.  I’m very used to the bike getting attention, I mean I remember the impact it had on me the first time I saw it, and I’m used to people asking about it, but I thought it wouldn’t stand out at this event.  Then I tuned in to the comments; “double cross-bar”, “handlebars”, “nice colour” and so on…  then someone decides to come and talk to me (finally I feel slightly less alone) and he’s fascinated by the frame construction, the way the rear stays are bolted on, the double cross-bar and so on.  So now I feel slightly less detached from it all and it’s time to hit the road, so I line up and again I feel all these eyes looking at the Jaspa, by now I’m feeling like a proud dad!

I jump on and off we go and frankly at this point I was absolutely beaming.  Central London, on my Jaspa, surrounded by similar minded people all about to cause absolute chaos on the streets.  So I’m pedalling along and this chap rolls up alongside, ‘nice bars mate’ to which I respond ‘christ look at your bars!’ – they were what can only be described as a straight piece of alloy tube with absolutely nothing on them…  no grips, no brake levers, no nothing!  So I’m chatting to him and his fellow group and telling them all about my Jaspa and the story of how I came to own one (the very short version: I went to Blenheim Palace Bike Show, saw the bike, fell in love and bought one).

I’m now in my stride, cycling while trying to take in all the sights and watching people line the streets, come out of shops, stop and stare, all with huge smiles on their faces (and phones/cameras in hand of course).  We cycled around Regents Park, down Marylebone High St, along Regent St over Oxford Circus, Saville Row, Piccadilly Circus, Pall Mall, along the Mall towards Buckingham Palace then heading back up to Big Ben including a loop in front of Parliament.  A quick stop at the Cenotaph for a group photo (meaning I had to briefly leave my Jaspa), then carry on up to Trafalgar Square and…  well you get the idea!  While I tried to enjoy the sights, I spent a lot of time fielding questions about the bike from numerous riders, in fact after a couple of hours I had a good script about the bike including the 2-speed hub, coaster brake, brooks saddle and grips and the story of the company that makes them and how I came to own one. A break for lunch, again meaning I had to leave the Jaspa while I went to get something to eat, as you’ve probably gathered I’m very precious about my bikes!  But it was fine while I drank my tea and watched the sky grow greyer and greyer.

After lunch we set off for the final few miles to the pub.  We reach the pub in Kings Cross just in time for it to start hammering down, so at this point I concluded that I’d had a great day, I started the ride not knowing anyone, by the end I had made a lot of friends and I’d love to think it’s because of me…  but it isn’t, it’s down to my Jaspa and the effect it has on people.

So I’d head back to Marylebone to jump on the train…  I wind my way down the Euston Road (well in truth the pavement) getting more and more wet, but still loving every second and my cream tyres getting a great clean in the process.  Nearing the station and start to hear the roars and shouting.  Oh great, Millwall fans on their way to Wembley and I’m dressed like… well I’m not sure how you’d describe it, but suffice to say not how I’d wish to be dressed when encountering football fans.  Thankfully my train was there, not carrying any football fans, so on I jumped and sat down and I hear…  “hello mate, what have you being doing today?”…  and once again I tell my story!

Overall an incredible bike and an incredible day, but what about my number plate? I spent hours thinking about and making that…  not one sodding mention by anyone!

James, proud owner of a Jaspa.

Photo Credit and huge thanks for making me look good: Mike Sullivan http://www.mosullivanphotography.com/

See my pictures here:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/mikeos/8646304024/in/set-72157633238085310/

Follow me: @OakGreenEnvy


No comments:

Post a Comment

item7a item6 item5 item4 item3 item2 item1